Knowing how your country works and who is holding the reigns is important, which is why we want to tell you the names of Nigerian senators and their constituencies. Let us give you a little lesson on Nigerian politics!
If you are wondering how many senators there are in Nigeria, we can tell you. The Senate of Nigeria consists of 109 senators. Each of the 36 states has three senators, and the Federal Capital Territory has only one.
The last election was back in 2015, and the length of term is four years, which means that the current list of Nigerian senators is going to be relevant until next year. However, people from this assembly can be reelected during the next elections, as they have unlimited tenure.
Just so that the list of senators does not trail like a very long and boring snake, we have decided to divide the senators and their respective constituencies by Northern, Eastern and Western parts of Nigeria. That way, the list should be a little easier to comprehend. With all that out of the way, let’s get to our Nigerian senators list!
LIST OF SENATORS FROM THE NORTHERN REGION
The North consists of 19 states + the FCT. This means that there are 58 senators representing the Northern part of Nigeria (3 per every state + 1 from the FCT). Let’s get down the list of senators constituency by constituency:
- Adamawa Central has Abdul Aziz Murtala Nyako as the senator;
- Adamawa North has Binta Masi Garba;
- Adamawa South has Ahmadu Abubakar.
- Bauchi Central has Isah Hamma Misau;
- Bauchi North has Ali Wakili;
- Bauchi North has Suleiman Nazif.
- Benue East has Barnabas Gemade;
- Benue South has David Mark;
- Benue West has Akume George.
- Borno Central has Ahmad Zannah;
- Borno North has Abubakar Kyari;
- Borno South has Ali Ndume.
- FCT has Philips Aduda Tanimu (who is also Minority Whip).
- Gombe Central has Goje Danjuma;
- Gombe North has Bayero Nafada;
- Gombe South has Joshua Lidani.
- Jigawa North East has Muhammad Sh!tu;
- Jigawa North West has Abubakar Gumel;
- Jigawa South West has Sabo Mohammed.
- Kaduna Central has Shehu Sani;
- Kaduna North has Suleiman Hunkuyi;
- Kaduna South has Danjuma La’ah.
- Kano Central has Rabiu Kwankwaso;
- Kano North has Barau Jibrin;
- Kano South has Kabiru G.aya.
- Katsina Central has Umaru Kurfi;
- Katsina North has Mustapha Bukar;
- Katsina South has Abu Ibrahim.
- Kebbi Central has Adamu Aliero;
- Kebbi North has Yahaya Abdullahi;
- Kebbi South has Bala Ibn Na’Allah (who is also Deputy Majority Leader).
- Kogi Central has Ahmed Salau Ogembe;
- Kogi East has Air Marshal Isaac Alfa;
- Kogi West has Dino Melaye.
- Kwara Central has Bukola Abubakar Saraki (who is also the Senate President);
- Kwara North has Shaába Lafiagi;
- Kwara South has Rafiu Ibrahim.
- Nasarawa North has Philip Aruwa Gyunka;
- Nasarawa South has Suleman Asonya Adokwe;
- Nasarawa West has Abdullahi Adamu.
- Niger East has David Umaru;
- Niger North has Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi;
- Niger South has Mustapha Sani.
- Plateau Central has Joshua Dariye;
- Plateau North has Jang Jonah;
- Plateau South has Jeremiah Useni.
- Sokoto East has ahIbrahim Gobir;
- Sokoto North has Aliyu Wamakko;
- Sokoto South has Ibrahim Abdullahi.
- Taraba Central has Yusuf Abubakar Yusuf;
- Taraba North has Abubakar Sani Danladi;
- Taraba South has Emmanuel Bwacha (who is also Deputy Minority Leader).
- Yobe East has Bukar Baba Ibrahim;
- Yobe North has Ahmed Ibrahim Lawan (who is also Majority Leader);
- Yobe South has Mohammed Hasan.
- Zamfara Central has Kabir Garba Marafa;
- Zamfara North has Tijjani Yahaya Kaura;
- Zamfara West has Ahmed Rufai Sani.
LIST OF SENATORS FROM THE EASTERN PART OF NIGERIA
Here is the full list:
- Abia Central has Theodore Orji as a senator;
- Abia North has Mao Ohuabunwa;
- Abia South has Enyinnaya Abaribe.
- Akwa Ibom North East has Bassey Albert;
- Akwa Ibom South has Nelson Effiong;
- Akwa Ibom West has Godswill Obot Akpabio (who is also Minority Leader).
- Anambra Central has Uche Ekwunife;
- Anambra North has Stella Oduah;
- Anambra South has Andy Uba.
- Bayelsa Central has Emanuel Paulker;
- Bayelsa East has Ben Murray-Bruce;
- Bayelsa West has Ogola Foster.
- Cross River Central has John Enoh;
- Cross River North has Rose Okoji Oko;
- Cross River South has Gershom Bassey.
- Ebonyi Central has Ogba Joseph;
- Ebonyi North has Samuel Egwu;
- Ebonyi South has Sunday Oji.
- Enugu East has Gilbert Nnaji;
- Enugu North has Utazi Chukwa;
- Enugu West has Ike Ekweremadu (who is also Deputy Senate President).
- Imo East has Samuel Anyanwu;
- Imo North has Achonu Nneji;
- Imo West has Uzodinma Goodhope.
- Rivers East has George Sekibo;
- Rivers South East has Olaka Nwogu;
- Rivers West has Osinakachukwu Ideozu.Delta
- Delta Central has Ovie Omo-Agege as a senator;
- Delta North has Peter Nwaboshi;
- Delta South has James Manager.
- Edo Central has Clifford Ordia;
- Edo North has Alimikhena Asekhame Francis (who is also Deputy Chief Whip);
- Edo South has Mathew Urhoghide.
LIST OF SENATORS FROM THE WESTERN PART OF NIGERIA
Here is the full list of them by state and constituency:
- Ekiti Central has Fatimat Raji-rasaki;
- Ekiti North has Duro Faseyi;
- Ekiti South has Biodun Christine Olujimi (who is also Deputy Minority Whip).
- Lagos Central has Oluremi Tinubu;
- Lagos East has Gbenga Bareehu Ashafa;
- Lagos West has Solomon Olamilekan Adeola.
- Ogun Central has Prince Lanre Tejuosho;
- Ogun East has Buruju Kashamu;
- Ogun West hasJoseph Gbolahan Dada.
- Ondo Central has Tayo Alasoadura;
- Ondo North has Robert Ajayi Boroffice;
- Ondo South has Yele Omogunwa.
- Osun Central has Olusola Adeyeye (who is also Chief Whip);
- Osun East has Babajide Omoworare;
- Osun West has Isiaka Adeleke.
- Oyo Central has Monsurat Sunmonu;
- Oyo North has Buhari Abdulfatai;
- Oyo South has Adesoji Akanbi.
Whew! That was all of them. Now if anyone asks you ‘How many senators do we have in Nigeria?’, you will be able to give the answer with ease. Hopefully, you will also be able to remember at least some Nigerian senators’ names as well.