The UEFA Super Cup is the annual curtain raiser for the new European season.
It is always a game between the current winners of the Champions League and the Europa League.
Here are 10 things you need to know ahead of the match:
1. The Super Cup was founded in 1972 and was initially contested by the winners of the European Cup (later the Champions League) and the Cup Winners Cup.
2. This year’s fixture will be played on Tuesday in the unlikely setting of Skopje, Macedonia. Kick off is 7.45pm.
3. It is the first major piece of European silverware of the 2017-18 season up for grabs.
4. Barcelona and AC Milan are the most succesful teams in the history of the UEFA Super Cup, having each won the trophy five times. Liverpool and Real Madrid follow with three titles each.
5. United and Madrid have already met in preseason and it ended in a 1-1, before Jose Mourinho’s men won via penalties.
6. United will be without defensive duo Phil Jones and Eric Bailly (suspended), while Luke Shaw and Marcos Roja are also missing through injury. Summer signings Victor Lindelof, Romelu Lukaku and Nemanja Matic should all feature.
7. Cristiano Ronaldo has been included in Madrid’s squad for the game and could face his former side.
8. Real Madrid are a 10/11 chance in the betting with bet365. while Mourinho’s men can be backed at 14/5.
9. United last won the Super Cup way back in 1991 when a Brian McClair strike was enough to see them past Red Star Belgrade.
10.Liverpool are the last winners from the Premier League back in 2005.