Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike invites applications for admission into the following Postgraduate Programmes in the various Colleges of the University for the 2016/2017 Academic Session.
A. COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS, RURAL SOCIOLOGY AND EXTENSION
(a). Department of Agricultural Economics
M.Sc. and Ph.D Agricultural Economics –Areas of specialization include:
1. Agribusiness Management and Co-operatives.
2. Agricultural Finance.
3. Agricultural Project Management.
4. Agricultural Marketing.
5. Farm Management and Production Economics.
6. Agricultural Policy and Development.
7. Resource and Environmental Economics
(b). Department of Rural Sociology and Extension
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Rural Sociology and Extension
M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Agricultural Extension Communication.
2. Agricultural Extension Administration.
3. Agricultural Extension Education.
4. Rural Sociology and Development.
(c) Department of Agribusiness and Entrepreneurship Development.
M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Project Management
2. Agribusiness and Entrepreneurship development
3. Export Management.
4. Agribusiness investment and finance.
To qualify for M.Sc. admission in Agribusiness and Financial Management options, the candidates must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Lower Division in any Management Science/Economics, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness and any relevant course/ or 3.5 and above in Postgraduate Diploma of MOUAU or any other recognized University.
Ph.D in Agribusiness and Financial Management: A candidate must have obtained a master degree which include course work and Research in any options from a recognized University with a CGPA of at least 3.5 (on 5 point scale) or 2.84 (on 4 point scale).
There is no direct admission to Ph.D no matter the class of Degree in the Undergraduate programme.
B. COLLEGE OF APPLIED FOOD SCIENCES AND TOURISM
(a). Department of Food Science and Technology
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Food Science and Technology; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Food Processing and Preservation.
2. Food Chemistry and Biotechnology.
3. Food Microbiology and Biotechnology.
4. Food Quality Control and Assurance.
In addition to general entry requirement for Postgraduate programmes,
Department of Food Science and Technology requires O’level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
(b). Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Human Nutrition and Dietetics; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Applied Human Nutrition.
2. Community Nutrition.
3. Experimental Nutrition.
4. Food Option.
(c). Department of Home Economics/Hospitality Management and Tourism.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Home Economics; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Home Management.
2. Human and Family Development.
3. Clothing and Textile.
4. Foods and Nutrition.
5. Child and Human Development
6. Food and Nutrition
7. Hospitality Management & Tourism
C. COLLEGE OF ANIMAL SCIENCE AND ANIMAL PRODUCTION.
(a). Department of Animal Breeding and Physiology.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Animal Breeding and Physiology; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Animal Breeding
2. Animal Physiology
(b). Department of Animal Nutrition and Forage Science.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Animal Nutrition and Forage Science; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Animal Nutrition and Biochemistry.
2. Forage Science and Range Management.
(c) Department of Animal Production and Livestock Management.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Animal Production and Management; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Poultry Production.
2. Rabbit Production.
3. Swine Production.
4. Ruminant Production (Cattle, Sheep and Goat)
5. Snail Production
D. COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURAL AND SCIENCE EDUCATION
(a) Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) full-time namely:
1. Agricultural/ home Economics Education
2. Educational Foundation
3. Science Education
4. Industrial Technology Education
5. Library and Information Science
6. Postgraduate Diploma in Education
(b) Department of Agricultural / Home Economics Education
M.Ed and Ph.D:
1. Agricultural Education
2. Home Economics Education
(c) Department of Educational Foundation
M.Ed and Ph.D:
1. Adult and Continuing Education
2. Business Education
3. Economics Education
4. Educational Administration and Planning
5. Educational Curriculum Studies
6. Educational Guidance and Counseling
c. Department of Science Education
M.Ed and Ph.D in
1. Measurement and Evaluation
2. Mathematics Education
3. Chemistry Education
4. Biology Education
5. Physics Education
d. Department of Industrial Technology Education
Postgraduate Diploma, Masters and Ph.D in Industrial Technology Education
e. Department of Library and Information Science
Post graduate Diploma, Masters and Ph.D in Library and Information Science
E. COLLEGE OF CROP AND SOIL SCIENCES.
(a). Department of Agronomy.
Postgraduate Diploma in Crop Production; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Crop Production and Physiology
2. Plant Breeding and Genetics.
(b). Department of Plant Health Management.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Plant Health Management; M.Sc. in:
1. Plant Pathology.
2. Applied Entomology.
3. Weed Science.
1. Plant Pathology (Mycology).
2. Plant Pathology (Nematology).
3. Weed Science.
4. Applied Entomology.
(c). Department of Soil Science and Meteorology.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Soil Science and Meteorology; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Soil Survey and Land Use Planning.
2. Soil Physics and Conservation.
3. Soil Fertility and Fertilizer Technology.
4. Soil Chemistry and Mineralogy
No Ph.D Programme in Soil Survey and Land Use Planning.
F. COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY.
(a). Department of Agricultural and Bio-resources Engineering.
Postgraduate Programmes PGD in Agricultural and Bio-resources Engineering: M.ENG and Ph.D in:
1. Farm Power and Machinery.
2. Processing and Storage of Post Harvest Agricultural Materials.
3. Soil, Water and Aquacultural Resources Engineering.
(b). Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Postgraduate Programmes PGD in Mechanical Engineering; M.ENG and Ph.D with options in:
1. Energy and Power Engineering.
2. Materials Mechanics.
3. Design and Production Engineering.
4. Industrial and System Engineering.
(c). Department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering; M.Sc and Ph.D in
1. Electrical Power/ Machines.
G. COLLEGE OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT.
(a) Department of Forestry and Environmental Management.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Forestry and Environmental Management; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Forestry and Environmental Management.
2. Toxicology and Environmental Management.
4. Wood Technology and Industries.
5. Wildlife and Forest Resources Management.
(b). Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management; M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Fisheries and Hydrobiology.
3. Aquatic Pollution and Toxicology.
(c). Department of Environmental Management and Toxicology:
1. Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Environmental Management and Toxicology.
2. Master of Science (M.Sc) degree in Environmental Management.
3. Master of Science (M.Sc) degree in Environmental Toxicology.
4. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree in Environmental Management.
5. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree in Environmental Toxicology
H. COLLEGE OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES.
(a). Department of Accounting. M.Sc. and Ph.D in Accounting
(b). Department of Banking and Finance. PGD, M.sc and Ph.D in Banking and Finance
(c). Department of Marketing. M.Sc. and Ph.D in Marketing
(d). Department of Human Resource Management. M.Sc. and Ph.D in Human Resource Management
(e). Department of Business Administration. PGD, MBA, M.Sc. and Ph.D in Business Administration
I. COLLEGE OF NATURAL SCIENCES.
(a). Department of Biochemistry. M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Biochemical Toxicology.
2. Nutritional Biochemistry.
3. Clinical Biochemistry.
4. Cellular Biochemistry
(b). Department of Microbiology. M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Food Microbiology.
2. Industrial Microbiology.
3. Environmental Microbiology. M.Sc. in Medical Microbiology
(c). Department of Plant Science and Biotechnology. M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Plant Taxonomy and Biosystematics/Cytogenetics.
3. Plant Physiology.
(d). Department of Zoology and Environmental Biology.
1. M.Sc. and Ph.D in Parasitology.
2. M.Sc. Entomology.
3. M.Sc. Hydrobiology.
J. COLLEGE OF PHYSICAL AND APPLIED SCIENCES.
(a). Department of Chemistry. M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Analytical Chemistry.
2. Environmental Chemistry.
3. Physical Chemistry.
4. Organic Chemistry.
5. *Inorganic Chemistry is available only at M.Sc. level.
(b). Department of Mathematics.
M.Sc. and Ph.D in Pure and Applied Mathematics with specialization in the following area:
(a) Applied Mathematics;
1. Differential Equations.
3. Numerical Analysis.
4. Fluid Mechanics
5. Mathematical Modeling.
(b) Pure Mathematics;
1. Functional Analysis.
2. Image Processing.
(c). Department of Physics. M.Sc. and Ph.D in:
1. Geophysics and
2. Engineering Physics.
(d). Department of Statistics. M.Sc. and Ph.D with options in:
1. Time Series Analysis.
4. Operations Research
5. Experimental and Applied Statistics
K. COLLEGE OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
(a) Department of Veterinary Pathology. M.V.Sc and Ph.D in
1. Pathobiology (Clinical Pathology)
2. Pathobiology (Diagnostic Pathology)
3. Pathobiology (Microbiology)
4. Pathobiology (Parasitology)
6. Pathobiology (Clinical Pathology, Diagnostic Pathology, Microbiology or Parsitology.
(b) Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine.
M.V.Sc and Ph.D with options in
1. Veterinary Public Health.
2. Veterinary Preventive Medicine.
(c) Department of Veterinary Medicine
M.Sc and Ph.D Clinical Veterinary Medicine.
1. Large Animals Medicine
2. Small animals Medicine
3. Avian policies
(d) Department of Veterinary Physiology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Animal Health and Production
M.V.Sc and Ph.D in;
1. Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology
2. Veterinary Physiology
(e) Department of Veterinary Anatomy. M.Sc and Ph.D in;
1. Developmental Anatomy
2. Systemic Anatomy
4. Applied Anatomy
5. Microscopic Anatomy
(f) Department of Veterinary Surgery and Theriogenology.
M.V.Sc and Ph.D in;
1. Soft Tissue Surgery
2. Orthopedic Surgery
4. Diagnostic imaging.
To be eligible for admission to a Postgraduate programme of the University, the candidate must possess five O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and any other three relevant subjects at not more than two sittings.
A. POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD)
To be eligible for admission to the PGD programme, candidates must be holders of pass or third Class Honours first degree in a relevant discipline from any University or holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) at minimum of Upper Credit level in a relevant discipline.
For unclassified HND certificates, a CGPA of 3.50 (5-point scale) and 3.00(4-point scale) or 60% shall be taken as equivalent to Upper Credit.
B. MASTERS DEGREE (M.Sc.)
To be eligible for admission to the Master’s degree programme, candidates must.
i. Be graduates of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike or any other recognized Universities by Senate and shall have obtained a first degree with at least Second Class Honours.
ii. Possess a first degree with Third Class Honours from a recognized University and at least an Upper Credit at Postgraduate Diploma in a relevant field, or
iii. Possess the Higher National Diploma (HND), with at least Upper Credit and Postgraduate Diploma in a relevant field from a recognized institution, or
iv. Any other certificate or qualification that may be acceptable to Senate.
C. DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY DEGREE (Ph.D).
To be eligible for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy degree programme, a candidate shall have obtained a Master’s Degree which includes course work and research from this or its equivalent from any other University recognized by Senate in relevant disciplines, with Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 3.5 (5- point scale) or 3.00 (4- point scale).
Method Of Application
Interested candidate should visit the University Web Portal www.mouauportal.edu.ng and click on the Post graduate application banner and follow the procedure of completing the Online Application Form for a cost of ten thousand naira (N10,000).
Academic transcript and reference letters should be forwarded from the Institution of origin marked with the Online Post Graduate application Number ( PAN number ) obtained from the University Portal to the address below;
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike,
Umuahia, Abia State.
Please note that any candidate whose transcript is not received will not be considered for admission.
Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms and transcript for the 2015/2016 academic session is on Monday 21st November, 2016.