Below is a comprehensive list of the ten most affordable and cheapest state universities (for first-year students) in Nigeria and their school fees.
Please note that many of the state universities charge less tuition fees for indigenes of the state and most of the universities charge different school fees for different courses, so the school fees range being listed here is just an estimation.
1. Lagos State University (LASU) LASU Entrance Lagos State University – also known as LASU – was established in 1983 by the enabling Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, for the advancement of learning and establishment of academic excellence. The university caters for a population of over 61,000 students enrolled for full-time and part-time programmes. The university also offers courses at Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. Lagos State University is located in Ojo, a town in Lagos State, Nigeria. LASU is the only state university in the former British colony. Lagos State University offers diploma, degree and post graduate programmes including a MBA programme.
School Fees Range: ₦ 25,000
2. Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba- Akoko (AAUA) AAUA Campus Adekunle Ajasin University (AAUA) is a state government owned and operated Nigerian university. The university is in Akungba Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria. Adekunle Ajasin University was first established as Obafemi Awolowo University in March 1982 by the government of the old Ondo State, headed by the late Chief Michael Adekunle Ajasin. Adekunle Ajasin University offers undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in fields of specialization ranging from Science, Arts, Education, Law, Social Sciences,Management Sciences and Agricultural Sciences.
School Fees Range: ₦ 31,000
3. Nasarawa State University (NSUK) Nasarawa State University (NSUK) PG School Nasarawa State University is located in Keffi Nigeria. Nasarawa State University, Keffi is a young university situated in the middle belt region of Nigeria. The University has accomplished incomparable goals within its short time of birth, this is as a result of its determination and diligence in administration.
School Fees Range: ₦ 35,000
4. Taraba State University (TASU) TASU Campus Taraba State University is located in Jalingo, Taraba State Nigeria. The Taraba State University, Jalingo was established by the Taraba State Government in 2008, to widen access to University education for Taraba State indigenes and promote economic development in the country. Right from inception, the University set out for itself a goal that is captured in its motto – HARNESSING NATURES GIFT. The University is guided, by the national and international manpower needs usually accredited by the National Universities Commission, Abuja.
School Fees Range: ₦ 37,000
5. Benue State University (BSU) Benue State University Campus Benue State University is a state-owned in Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria. Its 2006 student enrollment was over 19,000 served by 429 faculty. It offers undergraduate and graduate programs with a catalog of over 50 graduate programs across seven colleges. It is accredited by the National Universities Commission. The university was founded in 1992 and served 306 students with 149 faculty. The state government felt that the community needed a conventional university to augment the specialized academic offerings of the Federal University of Agriculture. In 1991, the state government formed a 13- member steering committee to plan for and obtain approval for the university. The university began offering classes for the 1992/1993 school year in four colleges: Arts, Education, Sciences, and Social Science.
School Fees Range: ₦ 45,000
6. Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) Campus Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) was conceived and funded by the Akwa Ibom State, government of Nigeria. At conception, the university was to be located within Akwa Ibom State’s Technology Triangle at th University Town. However, the administration of the Akwa Ibom State Government have changed the enabling law of the university into a multi- campus institution with the main campus at Ikot Akpaden, Mkpat Enin L.G.A and a second campus situated at Obio Akpa, Oruk Anam L.G.A.
School Fees Range: ₦ 53,000
7. Kogi State University (KSU) Kogi State University Campus Kogi State University has been named by many multinational corporate bodies as one of Africa’s best universities based on the exceptional intellectual pedigree of its employed graduates, even very often better than their counterparts from such popular universities like the University of Lagos, University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, and the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Kogi State University, located at Anyigba, is the university of Kogi, Nigeria. It was established in 1999 by Prince Abubakar Audu, the former governor of the state.
At the time of its establishment, it was known as Kogi State University, It was named Prince Abubakar Audu University (PAAU) in 2002 and later renamed Kogi State University in 2003 (KSU).
School Fees Range: ₦ 57,000
8. Delta State University (DELSU) DELSU Hostel The Delta State University, Abraka – popularly known as DELSU, is a State government university with a main campus located at Abraka, Delta and a campus at Anwai, Asaba. With the 1995 Amended Edict, we now have a campus at Oleh. The University runs a multi- campus system with three campuses within a distance of about 200 km apart.
School Fees Range: ₦ 58,000
9. Kebbi State University of Science and Technology (KSUSTA) KSUSTA Campus The Kebbi State University of Science and Technology, Aliero was established under the Kebbi State law No. 6 in December 2006. The case for the establishment of the University was made as a result of the ever increasing number of qualified indigenes of the State yearning for University education and who, more often than not, find it difficult to secure admissions into Nigerian Universities due mainly to their limited carrying capacities.
School Fees Range: ₦ 60,000
10. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) LAUTECH Gate Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) is a technology university in Ogbomosho, Oyo State, Nigeria. The university enrolls 25,000 students and employs more than 3,000 people. The university enrolls nearly 20,000 students in six faculties and a college. For two consecutive seasons, in 2003 and 2004, the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC) rated LAUTECH as the best state university in Nigeria.
School Fees Range: ₦ 65,000
11. Rivers State University of Sciences and Technology, (RSUST) Rivers State University of Sciences and Technology, (RSUST) Campus Rivers State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) is a University located in the Diobu area of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. The University has staff strength of 3,000 and a student population of 17,000. RSUST is the first Technological University in Nigeria and was established in 1980 from the Rivers State College of Science and Technology, itself established in 1972. It was the first university to be situated within the Niger Delta region. RSUST has seven faculties: Faculty of Agriculture, Engineering, Law, Management Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Technical & Science Education, Sciences and College of Medicine.
School Fees Range: ₦ 68,000
12. Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) TASUED Entrance Tai solarin university of Education (TASUED) is an Ogun State Government owned Public University University established on 29 January, 2005, by the Ogun State Government. The first of its kind in Nigeria, the University is committed to the training of highly qualified, competent and disciplined teachers who are specialists in their chosen subjects and experts in the teaching skill.
School Fees Range: ₦ 80,000
13. Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH) CRUTECH Entrance Cross River University of Technology with the acronym CRUTECH was established in August 2002 by Cross River State Bill No. 9, which was amended as Bill No. 6 of 2004. The University is the outcome of the merger of three former tertiary institutions: The Polytechnic of Calabar, Calabar, The College of Education, Awi, Akamkpa and the Ibrahim Babangida College of Agriculture, Ovonum, Obubra, all owned by the Government of Cross River State of Nigeria.
School Fees Range: ₦ 85,000
14. Ekiti State University (EKSU) Ekiti State University Entrance Ekiti State University Ado Ekiti (EKSU) was established as Obafemi Awolowo University, Ado- Ekiti on 30 March 1982 by the administration of late Chief Michael Adekunle Ajasin, the first civilian governor of Ondo State. The university is a member of theAssociation of Commonwealth Universities. It is located about 12 minutes drive from the center of the city of Ado- Ekiti, Ekiti State in Western Nigeria.
School Fees Range: ₦ 100,000
15. Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (AAU) AAU Ekpoma Ambrose Alli University is a university in Nigeria established in 1981. It was established by the then governor of Bendel State(now Edo and Delta States), Professor Ambrose Folorunsho Alli (1979–1983). First known as Bendel State University, then Edo State University, it was later changed to its present name in commemoration of Professor Ambrose Folorunso Alli .
School Fees Range: ₦ 110,000
16. Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye (OOU) OOU Entrance Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye is a state- owned and -operated university in Ago Iwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria. The university was founded July 7, 1982 as Ogun State University (OSU) and was renamed Olabisi Onabanjo University on May 29, 2001 in honour of Chief (Dr.) Olabisi Onabanjo, whose efforts as the then civilian governor of Ogun State gave birth to the university. Meanwhile, many students still refer to the institution as OSU, an acronym for the former name. The university has had a total output of 10,291 graduates and 1,697 postgraduates. Olabisi Onabanjo University has multiple campuses. The Main Campus in Ago Iwoye is popularly called Permanent Site (PS) by the students and a Mini Campus which was the home of the Faculty of Science till it was moved to the permanent site in January 2013.
School Fees Range: ₦ 115,000
17. Imo State University (IMSU) IMSU Gate The Imo State University (IMSU) in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria was established in 1981 through law No. 4 passed by the Imo State House of Assembly. The university admitted the first intake of 392 pioneer students on October 23, 1981. After the creation of Abia State in 1991, the Uturu campus of the university became the Abia State University. Imo State University is a fully functional University. Most of the programmes of the University have obtained full accreditation from National Universities Commission of Nigeria.
School Fees Range: ₦ 120,000
18. Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) ESUT Campus The Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) was founded in 1979 by Chief Jim Nwobodo as the Anambra State University of Science and Technology (ASUTECH) Enugu. It was the first ever state owned university in Nigeria. It was conceived with three campuses at Awka, Abakaliki, and Enugu. It had the first state funded Teaching hospital in Nnewi.
School Fees Range: ₦ 125,000
19. Anambra State University (ANSU)
Anambra State University (ANSU) Gate
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University
formerly Anambra State University is a Nigerian
tertiary institution located in Uli, a suburb in
On 11 September 2014, the university was
changed to its current name after a bill was
passed by the Anambra State House of Assembly
with the aim of mortalizing Chukwuemeka
Odumegwu Ojukwu, a politician and leader of the
breakaway Republic of Biafra.
School Fees Range: ₦ 130,000
20. Osun State University, Oshogbo (UNIOSUN) Osun State University (UNIOSUN) Osun State University is a multi-campus university established by Osun State Government under the administration of Governor Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola. The university currently operates six campuses distributed across the six administrative/ geopolitical zones of the state. Nigeria’s National Universities Commission approved Osun State University on December 21, 2006, as the 30th State University and the 80th in the Nigerian university system. It has its campuses in Osogbo, Ikire, Okuku, Ifetedo, Ipetu Ijeshaand Ejigbo which serves as campuses for Health science, Humanities and Culture, Social science and Management, Law, Education and Agriculture respectively.
School Fees Range: ₦ 135,000
21. Abia State University (ABSU) Abia State University (ABSU) Gate Abia State University is one of the state owned universities in Nigeria. These state academic institutions were created to expand admissions and bring professional skills, expertise and modern research facilities close to the city and rural dwellers, and have helped talented students to obtain higher education. Abia State University offers undergraduate, graduate and doctorate degrees. It has two campuses, its main campus in Uturu, and the College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine housed by the campus in Umuahia, Abia State capital.
School Fees Range: ₦ 160,000