On Saturday 21st May 2016, 14-year-old Deborah Faleke was instantly killed after one of the high tension cables that ran above their compound at Fagbeyiro Street in the Alakuko area of Lagos State fell and electrocuted her.
Deborah had concluded sitting for her WAESCCE only weeks ago.
Her father, Pastor Ademola Faleke said:
“On Friday, I went out of Lagos State for a ministration. So, the girl went to stay with her eldest sister on Fagbeyiro Street. That was not her first time.
“I was at Iyana-Ipaja on Saturday on my way back when I was called on the telephone and told about the incident.
There was no rainfall. Deborah was not sent on any errand. She was just passing through the gate when the wire fell on her. The marks on her body showed that the wire fell on her head.
“She was rushed to a hospital. The workers there said they did not have adequate equipment.
So she was rushed to a second private hospital on Adegbola Street, where she later died. The doctor issued a death certificate to us.
“She just finished secondary school; she was also my interpreter. She was very active in church.
I want the electricity distribution company to at least show some concern. My daughter, who is my joy, has been taken away by a careless electrical connection.”