NANS INITIAL REACTION ON THE RENAMING OF HIGHER INSTITUTIONS BY OSUN STATE GOVERNMENT.
We received the news of the renaming of Osun State owned tertiary institutions with rude shock. Gov. Aregbesola announced the renaming at the uniosun convocation ceremony today.
The new names are as follows:
1. Iree Poly now S.M. Afolabi
2. Ila now Adeyemi Oyeduntan College.
3. Ilesha now Lanre Omole.
4.Esa-oke now Bisi Akande.
5. Uniosun now Bola Ige University with the colleges as follow:
a. Okuku now Olagunsoye Oyinlola.
b. Ejigbo now Isiaka Adeleke
c. Ikire now Eniola Atanda.
d. Ifetedo now Kayode Esho.
e. Ipetu now Hezekiah Oluwasanmi.
The decision to rename the schools without an iota of consultation is totally undemocratic and a departure from all norms of progress and societal tranquillity. The students, staff, management and host communities are relevant stakeholders that ought to have been carried along.
It is even more appalling that Gov. Aregbesola did not deem it fit to get the approval of the state house of assembly before the unwarranted name changing. We begin to wonder if this is a democracy. We wish to warn that this singular undemocratic decision is capable of sabotaging the peace of the state if not properly managed.
The timing of this renaming equally calls for questions. In a time when the state is grappling with multifaceted problems without any clear cut way out, do the people of Osun need this unnecessary distraction now? Wont it be better to allow the controversy surrounding the school restructuring programme laid to rest before swimming in another water of controversy?
1. We totally reject the renaming and call for its immediate reversal
2. We call on the state house of assembly to rise up in defence of democracy by rejecting this abnormality.
3. We shall begin mobilisation in preparation for total showdown with the government if the proper thing is not done and in time.