Dr Kabir Getso, Kano State Commissioner for Health, said on Monday in Kano that the state had recorded three confirmed cases of Lassa fever since the outbreak in December, 2015.
Getso who spoke while addressing newsmen, said two of the confirmed cases were recorded in Garun-Malam Local Government Area of the state.
The commissioner said that the patients died at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital (AKTH) on Dec. 2, 2015.
He said that the third confirmed case, a young businessman from Dawakin Kudu Local Government Area, came to Kano from Benue last week.
The commissioner said that all the contacts were identified and followed up.
According to him, more than 70 per cent of them have either completed their 21 days follow up or tested negative.
He, however, said that another two suspected cases were currently on admission at the designated isolation and treatment centre at Yar’gaya Hospital.
Getso said the State Ministry of Health had taken several control measures to check the outbreak of the disease.
“The measures include the setting up of rapid response team, establishment of the Lassa fever Emergency Operation Centre and the setting up of the State Committee on the Control of Lassa fever,” he said.
Getso said the state government had provided personal protective kits and other logistics in the isolation centre for the management and control of the disease.
The commissioner commended the World Health Organisation for donating some materials for the treatment of the disease.
NOTE!!! The Press coverage of LASSA fever Has gone down but the thing is still killing people. PLEASE BE ALERT AND BE WARNED.