1. You are your absolute weirdest self when your significant other is around because you feel free enough to do and say whatever the hell you please in their company.
2. Since you’re not at all afraid to make fools of yourselves in front of each other, your partner is the best audience for your dumbest jokes and most awkward, spontaneous dance routines.
3. Sometimes, you’re so cheesy with each other that you both have to stop and laugh at how ridiculously in love you are, and how lame any outsiders would probably think you’re being.
4. You don’t just hang out. You play. That might mean whipping out a board game like Monopoly or Scrabble, or pretending to be a wealthy British couple on the hunt for a second home so you can check out some real estate together one random afternoon.
5. You know in your heart that it doesn’t matter what city, town, or neighborhood you settle down in, as long as you get to live together—forever.
6. You’re more willing than ever to compromise when choosing what to do with your free time, as long as you get to be with your significant other. It doesn’t matter where you eat, which museum you visit, or what movie you watch because the most important part of the equation—the person you spend time with—is already established.
7. You can turn any seemingly dull afternoon into a memorable occasion just by taking an especially long walk, shopping for ridiculously expensive stuff you don’t need and won’t actually purchase, or watching a slew of dumb Youtube videos. All that matters is that you experience things as a twosome.
8. The least awesome circumstances—tripping and falling on the sidewalk, capsizing a kayak, or stepping into a knee-deep mud puddle—don’t seem so harrowing when you’re with your partner because you can identify the memories being made while the frustrating things happen and that’s enough to make you smile.
9. The person you are when you’re alone is the exact same person you are when you’re with your boyfriend or girlfriend. The outside world, on the other hand, might see a slightly different version of you both simply because you reserve your truest selves for each other.
10. You like having secrets as a couple—sharing certain things only with each other, and keeping certain aspects of your lives together from everyone else.
11. You also like ridiculous pet names. You’ve been through several generations of silly monikers, and you expect several more to come.
12. You are both always prepared to lie for each other at social gatherings—to bail each other out of potentially awkward situations, or to save each other from boring conversations.
13. You squeeze each other’s hands in that special, knowing way throughout any wedding you attend as a couple.
14. Romantic movie scenes trigger your inner cornball and lead to a telling thigh rub or a brief but intense moment of eye contact.
15. Watching other people have $ex on screen makes you want each other so badly, you sometimes hit pause to satisfy your urges before finishing a movie or TV show.
16. You think of all your past relationships as the practice rounds that prepared you for the main event.
17. No other couple’s relationship makes you at all envious. You can only hope your siblings, friends, and cousins find the kind of love you’ve discovered.
18. The idea of having children suddenly makes a lot more sense, even if you’re nowhere near ready yet.
19. If and when you do have kids, your greatest hope for them is that they’ll fall in love as hard as you did.
20. You’ve heard how tough monogamy is, and you know about the “honeymoon phase,” the “seven year itch,” and the need so many couples eventually feel to “rekindle the romance.” You don’t think you’re immune torelationship realities, but they definitely don’t scare you.
21. You fully understand why the most popular metaphor for pa$$ion is a flame, and you’re ready and willing to do whatever it takes to keep the light burning as long as you live. It might not be easy, but it’ll definitely be worth it.